Daily Archives

One Article

Posted by Mammoth on

Update on my case

My ex and i were divorced in Calif. in 1988. I was in the military, then settled in NC. My ex moved many times and now resides in Nev.
In June of last year she petitioned the Calif. court to review the support amount, which they did.

After doing a lot of research and calling the CSE often, the NC State Federal Lawyer for family law has determined by Federal Law Calif did not have jurisdiction over the case. The law clearly states,’If no party to the case resides in the state or jurisdiction, the case must forwarded to the appropriate jurisdiction’ or words to that effect.

It took 7 months but, The NC CSE called me and told me the order was invalid and they would not enforce it. If my ex wanted the support amount modified she would have to file in NC.

So, a little (well a lot) of research can make a big difference. Knowing the laws is your right and your responsibility (since no one in the government will explain them to you when you fall under them).

The main problem with our family courts today is no law provides a non custodial parent with legal assistance or information, unlike what the laws provide for the custodial parent. I think it is time for a change in our laws.